When we first started Melltoo, we started with scratching an itch, solving a pain point that we personally had, the terrible user experience of classifieds. Deep down, classifieds appealed to us on an emotional level because it encompasses several of our personal convictions.
- We, as the human race, should not waste the precious resources we have been given by our creator. Classifieds is the key to resale and reuse.
- We believe in community and the need to strengthen its bonds across social, economic, and cultural divides. Classifieds allows participation by all segments of the community.
Along the startup journey, as we busily grew the company from 2 to 25, we lost sight of some of the ideals that guided us in the first place. So over the last several weeks, we did some soul-searching in an effort to define our “raison d’etre” as a company. This is our we’ve come up with.
To change the way we consume things to enable society to strike a balance between consumerism and sustainability. To advocate for responsible consumerism through resale and reuse and to fight the disease of inaction. Great leaps forward begin with small steps.
The preservation of our only planet is the business of all and not the few. The only way to achieve this mission is to get the masses involved and the only way to get the masses involved is to make it easy for them to get involved. Hence, our mission is to make buying and selling preowned goods so easy it becomes an enjoyable and rewarding part of everyday life, enabling everyone to do their part in building a more sustainable society.
- Individual responsibility = everyone is responsible for their own actions, be it our staff or consumers in general
- Social responsibility = It is our responsibility, as part of society, to give back to society
- People before technology = As technology becomes a mediator between people, we must not regard technological advancement as superior to human advancement. Technology exists to serve people.
- Customers are people just like us, they deserve to be treated the way we would want to be treated
- Always ask why = question the status quo, if there isn’t a good reason for something, then change something
Our Product Pillars
- Peer2peer = a marketplace for mass participation where buyers are sellers and sellers are buyers.
- Trust = the marketplace actively works to establish and protect trust within the community
- Innovation = innovate or die
- Service = beyond technology, our product is also about service and our responsibilities to our customers
As we look ahead in building the region’s foremost peer2peer marketplace, we will take our vision, mission, and values as guideposts along the way.